What Are Damon Braces?
Damon metal braces are similar to most traditional orthodontic braces in that it uses wires and brackets to move the teeth. Brackets are placed on the teeth with adhesive glue and then connected by wire — the thickness and strength of the wire change and progress throughout your treatment to gradually move your teeth. Depending on your needs, you can get the Damon system with metal or clear brackets.
But the main difference between the Damon system and other braces is the self-ligating system. This self-ligating system means the Damon bracket is “tieless” or elastic-free and the bracket opens and closes like a door over the wire. Since there are no colored bands or elastics, the Damon brackets are easier to keep clean and more hygienic.
Are Damon Braces Right For Me?
Damon Braces are compatible with all teeth and can fix many cases, unlike Invisalign aligners which have some treatment limitations. Damon Clear braces offer the same Damon System but with more discreet brackets that camouflage into their surroundings.
The other large difference between The Damon System and Invisalign clear aligners is the responsibility level required for care. With traditional braces, you do not have to worry about keeping up with trays and taking them in and out, as the braces system is permanently connected to your teeth.
The best way to figure out if braces are right for you is to come in for a complimentary new patient appointment. During your initial exam, you will receive photos of your teeth, an x-ray, an oral exam by Dr. Bo or Dr. Baker, a treatment plan including which option will work best for your teeth, and a financial quote.
Pros and Cons of Damon Braces
Every treatment comes with its own unique set of pros and cons. The right treatment option for you may not be the right treatment option for another patient. That said, here are some common benefits drawbacks to Damon braces:
Advantages of Damon Metal Braces:
- Damon braces users do not have to worry about the responsibility of keeping up with clear aligners since the braces are affixed to your teeth.
- Damon braces are made of durable materials, so they are tougher than plastic aligners.
- Damon Braces use low-profile components that provide a much more discreet treatment than conventional braces.
- Many Damon Braces wearers avoid having to pay for costly and painful procedures like tooth extractions and palette extractions.
- No matter what treatment you’re interested in, there is not a cost difference between any of our treatment options (metal braces, clear braces, and Invisalign clear aligners).
Disadvantages of Metal Braces:
- The physical look of the braces is more noticeable than Invisalign aligners.
- There are some limitations with the types of food you can eat, including sticky, hard, or chewy foods.
- You cannot remove the braces for things like taking photos, whereas you can quickly remove Invisalign aligners.
- You will have regular visits to our office, sometimes monthly, which may be difficult to fit into a busy schedule.
Schedule Your Initial Braces Consultation in Cary, North Carolina
We’d love to take you on an orthodontic journey to achieve a straighter and healthier bite. If you are interested in learning more about Damon braces treatment, schedule a free consultation to see if you are an ideal candidate.